The Black Church at Búðir, Snæfellsnes
On the south coast of Iceland’s Snæfellsnes peninsula, there’s a village with only a hotel and a tiny black church called the Búðakirkja.
Búðakirkja church was erected in 1703 by Bent Lárusson, who was a merchant in Búðir. It rotted down but was rebuilt by Steinunn Sveinsdóttir in 1848. Legend has it that she did this following a request by Bent Lárusson in a dream. In 1984, the church was moved in one piece from the old graveyard onto its current foundations. The church was renovated to the form it was thought to have had in 1848, and was re-consecrated in 1987. The church is a listed building owned by the National Museum of Iceland, but it is in the care of the Búðir parish. Búðir and Búðakirkja have a romantic air about them, and the place is popular for weddings.
It has a historic graveyard as well as relics such as a bell and chalice from the time the church was first erected. However its pure black paint job and isolated location are the real attraction to the site.
The black church at Búðir has become a popular photo location in Snæfellsnes peninsula photo tour. The church and it’s surrounding has a lot of options for great pictures with the glacier, mountain ridge, lava fields and dramatic weather.